In Nebraska, certification of seed potatoes is conducted by the Potato Certification Association of Nebraska (PCAN), Alliance, Nebraska. The University of Nebraska Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources designates PCAN to conduct potato certification by statute. Certification is a voluntary program designed to encourage the production of top-quality seed potato tubers through adherence to rigorous testing and inspection requirements, and through research to improve seed potato quality and testing. As part of the certification process, a multitude of functions are conducted by certification and inspection staff at PCAN.
- Summer leaf testing of all early generation seed potatoes, imported seed lots and varieties not expressing disease symptoms
- Winter grow-out test on all seed-lots are conducted to qualify for recertification.
- Visual inspection of all applicant fields
- Maintenance of pre-nuclear tissue culture material
- State surveys for potato pests and disease
- 100% grower supported
- Tuber inspections at shipping point and storage (Federal and State inspection program)